Friday

PALIO HORSE RACE--SIENA

Before I left my family in Parma to start my semester in Florence, my family told me that if there was anything I had to do while in Italy it was to go to Siena to attend the Palio, a twice-annual horse race dating back several hundred years where the riders race around the city's main piazza bareback three times.  I took their word for it, talked to several classmates of mine that I had just met, and we all left for Siena this past weekend.  I have to say that it was one of the most exhilarating experiences in my life!  Never have I been surrounded by so much energy.  Each of the 17 contradas, districts, of Siena were doing celebrations throughout the day showing their pride of their contradas. Many of the participants were wearing clothing that was typical of Medieval times.  Starting at 3:30, each contrada, including the ones not racing this year, passed through the Duomo di Siena to show off their routine they had practiced to the crowd.  After all the contradas passed through the Duomo, the spectators were corralled into the center part of the piazza.  I would guess there were at least 25,000 other people crammed inside the track with us.  When the horses came out to do a walking lap, the crowd hushed and there was a dead silence.  A pin drop could have been heard.  This was absolutely amazing because I have never seen such a large crowd be so quiet for so long.  Then the cannons sounded and horses started flying around the track.  My heart started racing as I cheered on for the horses, especially for the horse that I was for the Drago contrada which I had chosen earlier in the day as the contrada I would support.  Although my contrada lost, the excitement of the race was nearly unbearable because of the day's-long build up.  I have never been so happy to witness an event first hand and I hope to see it again in the future! 

Peter


No comments:

Post a Comment